A great swap for candied yams with 3g more fiber and 1/3 the calories, especially for those interested in blood sugar control, weight loss, or cholesterol-lowering support.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced into 4-6 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive, grapeseed, or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place carrots into a steamer for about 10-12 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add the oil and turn it into a paste.
- Let the steamed carrots sit to cool, then place on a parchment- or tinfoil- lined baking sheet.
- Using well washed or gloved hands, rub the brown paste all over the carrots.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
Garnish right before serving. Enjoy!
PS Leftovers work great for Half Baked #sexysalads
*Based on a 4 oz. serving of the above recipe vs 4oz. of a recipe for candied sweet potatoes with marshmallows provided by Ryan’s Steakhouse restaurant.